Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Tea Party

Be like Gandhi and King 
We can't condone violence! 
Protest peacefully, young Americans,  
and it will all be okay. 
 
Except, peaceful protests usually 
require martyrs 
like  
Gandhi 
and  
King. 
 
But, in 2014,  
there was 
Anderson  
and 
Baker  
and  
Bennett 
and 
Berghardt 
and  
Brisbon  
and 
Brown 
and 
Cochran 
and 
Crawford 
and 
Curnell 
and 
Cusseaux  
and 
Ford 
and 
Garner 
and 
Gurley 
and 
Hamilton 
and 
Harrison 
and 
Hunt 
and 
Jones 
and 
Lake  
and 
Parker 
and 
Powell 
and 
Rice 
and 
Satterwhite 
and 
Smith 
and 
Tillman 
and 
White 
and 
Woodard. 
I think that there have been 
enough 
Martyrs. 
 
Well, what about Parks? 
She didn't tear up the bus? 
 
No. 
But she broke the fucking law. 
 
And, like  her,
and those old white men,  
who appropriated Native garb, 
and had a party in Boston
 
I think it's time to throw some fucking 
Tea 
into the fucking 
Water.
 


heidi
written 4/29/15


I wonder if this will get any reaction? My more political stuff rarely does. (And yes, that was a triple dog dare. And, I'll delete anything that is racist, trolling, nasty, or stupid.) Names used here are taken from Uptown's article 20+ Unarmed Black People Killed By Police in 2014.

4 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree more. The events starting with Trayvon Martin have radicalized me. I love this call to action and sanity!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mosk. I'm just so fucking mad. I don't understand how it is okay for people to die in routine police duty. Many of the people on the above list also had mental illness diagnoses, which to me, means that they need more patience and compassion. Not murder. I appreciate you commenting. Like I wrote above, my angry and/or political pieces rarely get comments. I used to be a social worker, and my favorite part was the fight for social justice. Sometimes that shows up here.

      Delete
  2. The world aint a nice place Heidi - well the people that inhabit it. How easy we return to the primitive man (or woman) that exists within us.
    I worry about this world of ours, really feeling we are going backwards...
    Anna :o[

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is powerful. And I'm sure you already know where I stand on this issue.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! Thank you for the visit! Grab a plate and a sweet tea and let's dig in. It may take a while, but I always try to reply and return visits.