Tuesday, April 9, 2013

NaPoWriMo Day Nine: The Gilded Frame

The Gilded Frame

The morning light was grey
and
hung
around
the
city
like a ratty old stole on the
arms of a tired woman
trying too hard.

It had been
too hot to sleep
too hot to live
I couldn't forget the last
words she uttered before
Markheim led her away
"He did it after all.
I didn't kill him
because
he's not dead."

I lit the match for my cigarette and
the flame danced up
then slowly down
the wood
burning
my
fingers.

All of the pieces
fell
into
place
at that moment and,
feeling like the chump of all chumps,
I realized that it would be much
longer
before I went to sleep.
She had been set up and
I was the only one who
could put it right.

heidi
written 4/9/13 for 
Today's prompt was Noir for the Ninth. I love it. I think that I want to try to write this out later, but right now I have no idea what has happened. Although, goodness knows I have listened to enough noir,  I should be able to come up with something. Maybe it's easier to think when a three-year-old is not using you for a jungle gym while you are trying to write.            

2 comments:

  1. I can really get a sense of the scene and I love the images in the details.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I want to expand on this, but I worry that I won't be able to keep the voice. That and I really have no idea what's happened, which could make plot development tricky :)

      Delete

Hi! Thank you for the visit! Grab a plate and a sweet tea and let's dig in. It may take a while, but I always try to reply and return visits.