Saturday, February 9, 2013

Kellie Elmore's Free Write Friday Submission: I Lie in My Bed


I Lie in My Bed

I lie in my bed
with you
to you
and then sleep whirls in.

I lie in my bed
and I dream
of a life without you
and of vague single happiness.

I lie in my bed
next to you
and the cold chills
my bare skin.

I lie in my bed
awake again and your stillness
conjures a siren's song with one rephrase
escape.

I lie in my bed
but the sheer curtains float
at my open window, blown from the winds of
a coming rain.

I lie in my bed
thumbing the opal on
my wedding ring
and I am trapped.

I lie in my bed
and the allure of leaving tortures me
as you wake and ask how I slept.
"Fine" I say

as I lie in my bed.

heidi
written 2/9/13 for http://kellieelmore.com/2013/02/08/fwf-free-write-friday-word-bank-5/

 Word Bank: Opal, Vague, Whirl, Dream, Sheer, Conjure, Bare, Allure

I really wanted to write a small short story with these words, but this is what came out. Hmm, funny how that happens. I'm not sure what I think about it yet. I live in fear of being melodramatic, especially when I write poetry. It is way too easy for me to go overboard, and ruin a good concept. Thanks for stopping by and I would love to hear from you.

4 comments:

  1. "I lie in my bed
    awake again and your stillness
    conjures a siren's song with one rephrase
    escape." I love this!!!!!!!!!!!! ...That's what I think about it! Sweet and lulling. I sigh... <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kellie! I enjoyed this prompt. I'm glad you liked my submission.

    ReplyDelete
  3. As I find myself falling through each iteration, of "I lie in my bed ", I find myself slipping, sinking, into the world, the moments your poem captures. Beautiful read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad you visited and commented. I like the idea of sinking into this poem.

      Delete

Hi! Thank you for the visit! Grab a plate and a sweet tea and let's dig in. It may take a while, but I always try to reply and return visits.